Mr. Richard Autry has 30 years of experience in the field of education, working at all levels including teacher, principal, and central office administrator. He has spent nearly 18 years serving in Rockdale County and was named superintendent in 2012.
During his tenure as superintendent, Mr. Autry has transformed education in Rockdale County with many new and innovative programs and technology. Specifically, under his leadership the district boasts the following accomplishments:
• Specialty and Choice programs in all high schools,
middle schools and many elementary schools
• One-to-One initiative including individual laptops for students
• The highest graduation rate EVER in the era of accountability at 83.3%
• RCPS continues to score above the state average for academic and school
climate accountability measures
• RCPS Board of Education received the highest designation of “Exemplary Board”
given by the Georgia School Boards Association
• RCPS is one of the highest rated districts internationally by AdvancED
• RCPS remains a debt-free school system.
Mr. Autry believes that all students must graduate with an advantage. Advanced technology skills, obtaining college credits, or earning an industry certification while in high school gives students that advantage while pursuing the future of their choice.
Mr. Autry earned his Bachelor of Science in Education degree from East Carolina University, and his Master of Education and Educational Specialist degree in the area of Educational Administration and Supervision from the University of Southern Mississippi where he graduated summa cum laude in his class.
He is a member of several professional associations including the American Association of School Administrators, Georgia School Superintendents Association, and the Atlanta Metro RESA where he currently serves as Vice Chair.
At their meeting in March 2011, the Board of Education adopted a resolution declaring our support of the work of the Vision Project, a partnership between the Georgia School Boards Association and the Georgia School Superintendents Association working to improve the education culture in the state of Georgia.
Click here for PDF of Superintendent Richard Autry's biography.